1. Ryler Sturden

Ryler Sturden Member Staff Member MC Developer

So I've had a couple of I7 processors now for 7 years. Sure, it may have gone through some name changes.

Bloomfield
    Lynnfield
    Gulftown
    Sandy Bridge
    Sandy Bridge-E
    Ivy Bridge
    Haswell
    Ivy Bridge-E
    Haswell-E
    Broadwell
    Skylake

But it is the same shit, let us be honest.

http://www.maximumpc.com/bloomfield-takes-on-skylake/#page-2

The most modern I7s are usually faster than the first generation, but not always..... I mean let us be serious for a second here. A CPU that is 8 years old is beating the most modern INTEL I7 that has a 1000mhz advantage? Yes, yes it is.

Intel XEONs, which are nearly 100% I7's, go for many times the price of I7's, even if they are lower speeds..... simply because we can plug that Xeon into a multiple socket motherboard. Yes that feature makes it 3-10x more expensive than an I7 .

The future seems to be cloud computing, where we have thin clients that are basically screens into the real machine, terminals. They control every element of the data, the processing, etc. Zero privacy, zero piracy (ZP2). Pretty scary if you are a computer enthusiast and actually like running your own stuff.

Once they control the computing then things like Bitcoin, MicroCash, Bittorrent will not exist. Goodbye peer to peer.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. SuperTramp

SuperTramp Administrator Staff Member

No matter what direction we go with 'cloud computing' I doubt we will see absolute abandonment from P2P in our lifetimes. And I agree
    on Intel's latest generations of overpriced cpu's.

3. Ryler Sturden

It is in their interest to control the computing power. Every major shift in the last 5 years has been to getting rid of computers in favor of the "cloud". Such an innocent name for their end game. :) It doesn't even matter if they don't have some "agenda" to go towards this, the reality is that agenda will at some stage be sought because it makes them the most money. Capitalism 101. :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  4. fellow

fellow Member

I think the compute power aspect is less important for cloud applications. If you want to get compute resources you can always buy them.
    What may happen is that there may be a 2nd "layer" for the internet created in terms of you buy a isp service for dedicated application traffic.

The todays cloud trend is mostly because companies can warrant a constant cashflow into their pockets with it.
    Many companies do not want to sell licenses for their products anymore, they want to sell their product as a service for a specified period of time.
    If something breaks they fix it "for free" and not only for the clients which have maintance.
    From corporate perspective this makes sense since you hire an employee for a job for a certain amount of time. The same thing you can do with hardware since years and now you can do it with software too.
    All major software companies fear that people work with a system for too long without buying an upgrade if the products work too nice.
    For the future I predict that it turns out that the majority of businesses will not accept to integrate a only cloud based piece of software into their infastructure (within the next 5-10 years) and the cloud term is then used like .com today.

5. Ryler Sturden

Well I think company use of cloud services should be separated away from the home use. Desktop computers in the home are dying, in favor of tablets and smart phones. Some people who need to write often will probably have a laptop. Anyhow the main thing here isn't ease of use but the fact if you don't have real computers in your phone, tablet, laptop, or PC you can control everything someone does.These devices then become much cheaper to make and people who don't know any different simply buy the cheap crap with the always on connection to the cloud services.

The Xbox will be built into screens because all an "xbox" will be is a service you connect to and stream playable content. Your input will be sent to their servers, they send you back your video and audio stream. Your phone will be the equiv of a web browser that simulates some basic OS features. Your tablet the same. Your laptop the same. And there are advantages to having it this way, I can just imagine the marketing. But there is zero privacy and zero control. It's just a sad direction we are headed and there is nothing that will stop it.

6. pineapples

pineapples Member

There are still many places in Australia with lacklustre interwebz.
    By the time real access is available the future will be upon us.