1. Ryler Sturden

Ryler Sturden Member Staff Member MC Developer

Download
    Please download using the attachments on this post. You may need to be logged in to download them.

Note:
    If you deleted your settings.txt file, just create a new file with that name in the folder with the mc64.exe app. See the release notes for Alpha1 for more info on the settings.txt file. The most common setting needed is "HTTP_SERVER_PORT", which defaults to 80, but many people find 8080 works fine. Change to an unused port and restart the alpha to visit the UI at http://127.0.0.1:8080 (use chosen port, obviously).

CHANGES (credits in brackets)
    -Fixed bug that wouldnt disable http server on startup
    -Ported file system code to std::experimental::filesystem to remove OS dependancies
    -Made the UDP code able to be compiled on Linux and MacOSX
    -Lots of various fixes to remove all of GCC's warnings
    -Added custom memory allocator.
    -Added ability to check memory corruption (overflows, underflows, etc) to all memory buffers
    -Now track memory usage. When closing any memory leaks are reported on console
    -Added the ability to have upto 3 peer to peer nodes active at once, all on separate ports and interfaces. By default only one is enabled.
    -Added graceful CTRL+C exit handler for linux
    -Added JSONDumper class to help with outputting json more easily (yuppie)
    -[HTTP SERVER] Added more default MIME types to browser (mishak)
    -[HTTP SERVER] Added ability to read mimes.txt in web directory to allow user to add any non default MIME types they want (mishak)
    -[HTTP SERVER] When a file is in web directory but empty 404 is no longer returned (mishak)
    -[HTTP SERVER] Fixed bug when index was served, had the wrong content-type. Fixes MS Edge (necom)
    -[HTTP SERVER] Can now bind to an interface with HTTP_SERVER_INTERFACEV4 and HTTP_SERVER_INTERFACEV6 options (mishak)
    -[HTTP SERVER] Fixed issue with some API commands not needing to be being authorized. Have now centralized all API requests to ensure everyone goes through a user access list.
    -[API] Added get_p2p_info command. Returns information on the peer to peer nodes, including some server stats like memory used
    -[API] Added get_p2p_logs command. Returns logs from the nodes
    -[API] Added set_p2p_value command. Allows you to disable or enable nodes and edit their settings from the web UI.
    -[WALLET] Added some of the new api to the interface

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2016
  2. Ryler Sturden

Hopefully with this release mishak and myself can get on the same wallet UI and make it a lot prettier looking. I haven't changed that much that the user can see in the wallet interface, just the peer to peer section. Even though a lot more is actually possible with alpha2.

I figured it is better to move the code to the new wallet inteface and not waste as much time on this crappy one. So I am sorry if anyone is disappointed with this release. I did spend about 50 hours working on it but unfortunately not much is changed in regards to what you can see just yet.

There is a more information on the console and a lot of what I changed will be very helpful in the next alphas and in the next wallet UI.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  3. RLH

RLH New Member

Should there be a settings.txt file, or will I need to manually create it. I need to change my localhost port since 80 is already in use on my machine. Thanks.

4. RLH

RLH New Member

Nevermind. Also, should I have a way to edit/delete posts? I'd modify the above request to explain what I figured out.

5. Ryler Sturden

There will only be a settings.txt file if something is changed. I will try to make sure the binary can work without any settings.txt file. ie that the defaults for the OS all work fine.

You should be able to delete your own posts I think. If not we will need to get a forum admin onto it. I think thread deleting is disabled but post deleting should be ok.

6. RLH

RLH New Member

Sorry, I know this isn't the place for the discussion, but I have no controls. The only option is to quote the post (and that's true for my posts as well.)

7. notyep

notyep New Member

Yea, I noticed the same thing. Necom can probably fix it since he has forum admin rights.

8. notyep

notyep New Member

BTW, Alpha2 Linux binary working like a charm (including P2P window pane rendering and graceful CTRL-C kill as expected..

9. MrSonic

MrSonic New Member

Alpha2 changes as noted...all looking good.
    mcalpha2.jpeg
    nice work (all)

10. Ryler Sturden

Did the enabling and disabling of the nodes work ok? Confirm with network monitor or netstat -ano ?

11. notyep

notyep New Member

Wi
    Had to step out but will verify if MrSonic or someone else doesn't before I get back... ;)

12. MrSonic

MrSonic New Member

yes - everything seems exposed appropriately in response to hitting buttons the correct amount of times.

I won't bother with screen shots - you can take my word for it (look at my trusting face!)

13. GielBier

GielBier Moderator Staff Member

I worked a bit on the webgui based on mishaks work. This should contain all functions from alpha2.

Attached Files:

• web.zip
      File size:
      916.3 KB
      Views:
  14. notyep

notyep New Member

Is there any work being done on iOS / Android mobile Microcash Clients?

15. Ryler Sturden

Thanks for releasing it. It looks good. Is it worth extending from this code base in your opinion? You said you had troubles with it.

16. Ryler Sturden

They can work if you have a node to point their web browsers to. Besides that I am currently doing no work or plan to on alternative clients. I will leave that up to anyone else if they want to. As far as I am concerned having a web browser based wallet served from a wallet allows someone, at home at least, to securely use their own node on any device with a web browser. If you were smart you could do the same over the internet.

All the code that did thin client stuff was gutted by Michael in the rewrite and I will not be bringing it back, at least for some time. Thin clients are easily possible with MicroCash but they aren't that important now with the web based wallet. It is best for people to look at this stuff once I release the source and come to their own conclusions on what they want to do with wallets.

I also don't want to concentrate on non core aspects as it leads down a development hole and then nothing gets released.

17. notyep

notyep New Member

Totally agree that the core needs all the focus right now. Upon release, the value of mobile "nodes" can be weighed. When the source is released, someone will definitely do it but hopefully with top notch security in mind. There will be those potential MC users who will not want to run a full blown Win/Mac/Linux node at home or rely on a service provider to host their wallet for them but want it (the actual node/wallet) in their pocket/purse like they already do today.

18. Ryler Sturden

Running a full MC node will be much easier than say Bitcoin. Not only will it be less used than Bitcoin for a while it is way more efficient in every aspect, memory, cpu, network. But there will always be people who don't want to run it, making something like Electrum or Armory for MC is probably a 2 day job.

19. GielBier

GielBier Moderator Staff Member

A suggestion, maybe it would be nice to keep webgui deving in an seperate topic.

20. Ryler Sturden

Agreed, feel free to start your own wallet dev thread.